Visit Geneva, a small city with big city amenities!
A change of scenery just 3 hours away from Paris
Geneva... the name alone evokes thoughts of chocolate, its magnificent fountain and lake. But, did you know that this beautiful city is full of surprises? When you step off the TGV Lyria train, you are right in the middle of the city centre. Within just a few minutes you'll discover the lake, narrow cobbled streets of the Old Town, art galleries, designers' workshops, parks and hotels. Despite beeing a small city, Geneva offers you all the amenities you would find in a large captial. While it may seem like a quiet place, there is always something to do and see in Geneva. Whether you walk along the lakeside promenade, visit a museum, relax, or wine and dine, you are sure to find what you're looking for. Just 3 hours and 08 minutes away from Paris, an outing in Geneva will surprise, amaze and convince you!
Things to do in Geneva
- Enjoy Lake Geneva and its beaches where you can swim in crystal clear water. At the Bains des Pâquis, even in the winter you can enjoy the sauna and refresh yourself afterwards in the cold water. And follow up with a delicious fondue while looking out over snow-topped Mont Blanc...
- Discover the Smurf village and its utterly extravagant buildings right behind the railway station. Head out in the avant-garde Bains (thermal baths) neighbourhood with its numerous art galleries and trendy bars, or to the small town of Carouge with its charming medieval little streets and artisans.
- Go window shopping on Rue du Rhône and rue Basses and pick up a watch or chocolate ingots!
- Soak up the international culture by strolling through the quartier des Nations where you can visit the Palais des Nations (the UN headquarters) and the international museum of the Red Cross.
- Visit Geneva's must-sees: Cathédrale St-Pierre , the Mur des Réformateurs (Reformation wall), the CERN laboratory or one of the many museums. And of course, take a selfie in front of the Jet d'Eau and the Flower Clock!
The best time to visit Geneva
- March - Geneva international Motor Show.
- July/August - Fêtes de Genève. For both adults and children, with a finale of a 55-minute firework display which lights up the harbour.
- December - Fête de l’Escalade. An historical commemoration with a race and parade in fancy dress.
The climate in Geneva
Thanks to its mild climate you can visit Geneva at any time of the year. It is also an ideal stopover en route to the ski resorts or to the mountains during the summer, this city on the banks of the lake is perfect for a weekend getaway or even longer, travelling from France, with TGV Lyria of course!
Geneva in figures
nationalities and 41% foreigners.
hectares of green spaces, i.e. 20% of the city.